Slavery also indentured servitude (in the Banu Protectorate) are terms for various similar illegal practices which includes the imprisonment, trafficking of sentient species. Slaves are often forced to work in mines, fight in in gladiatorial rings or used for scientific experimentation. They are sometimes marked by their 'owners'.
Trafficking, smuggling or enslaving of sentient beings is forbidden in the UEE. Child and forced labour existed in the Messer Era. Slavery and slave trafficking is now outlawed in the United Empire of Earth, the Xi’an Empire and de jure in the Banu Protectorate. However, some planet-states within the Protectorate still allowing the ownership of slaves.
Slavery in the Banu Protectorate
Slavery in the Banu Protectorate seems to be regulated by a set of rules. A Souli can possess slaves ("and apprentices"), but enslavement is not permanent. Dave Haddock writes that "a Banu don't view their slaves as property or things. (...) just ones who have (...) been entered into this arrangement (...)." A slave can eventually buy their freedom.
- Spider, criminal haven in the Cathcart System
- Nyx System - a 'traveling' slave market
- Olympus, Nul - home to another 'traveling' slave market.
- Kins II has a 'servant market'.
Reports of forced labour
Reputation of Slavers
Slavers are seen as 'scum' even among other criminals. They seem to have a very bad reputation within the human society.
- Anthony Tanaka, child worker. His death sparked the resistance against the Messer dictatorship.
- Fair Chance Act, a UEE law which protects developing species