Space stations are man-made structures in space used for long term manned operations. Space stations have many different purposes in Star Citizen including as rest stops, trading hubs, security outposts, mining operations, and refining operations. Space stations utilize Air Traffic Control (ATC) communications to help regulate the use of the landing pads. Landing without ATC authorization may give a player a fine, although the exterior pads of reststops are available to land at without first calling the ATC services.
- Character spawning - Most major space stations and rest stops maintain habitats that allow players to wake up within the persistent universe.
- Respawning - Almost all major space stations operate a Kel-To Rx medical clinic which allows players to set their respawn point as well as buy medical items such as medical pens and medical attachments.
- Ship spawning - Space stations maintain kiosks that allow ships to be spawned or claimed. Ships are spawned into a hangar or on a exterior landing pad consistent with the size of the ship. If a ship does not leave the pad the player will receive an audio notification warning of impending de-spawn. It's important to understand that not every station can support all sizes of ships.
- Vendor services - The larger the space station the more available vendors. Vendors can be affiliation specific, for example Sparrer Light Armor which is generally associated with outlaws can only be found in areas that are associated with outlaw professions. Refer to the specific station page for a list of available vendors.
- Repair, rearm and refuel - Ships using landing pads can utilize their MobiGlas to access ship services.
- Some space stations (not all) have defense systems as well as armistice zone that disables ships weapons while in proximity of the station. You will receive a visual notification when leaving or arriving an armistice zone. Not all armistice zones disable your weapons but instead hand out fines for damaging ships and attacking neutral targets. Defense systems include AAT-34 turrets (dual size 4 Attrition-4 laser repeaters), Broad & Rabiee Overseer Orbital Sentries and stationary high-caliber energy turrets that include missile turrets firing Arrester III missiles.